Our Stake (Arlington Texas) is studying one scripture a month this year. To help families to integrate the scripture into their homes in meaningful ways, for each scripture we will share the following:
- free printables of the scripture or related challenge for display in the home
- family home evening lessons for all types of families
- ideas for memorizing the scripture
- the accompanying challenge
The scripture for August is John 7:17.
“If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.”
The accompanying challenge is to define ways to build your testimony and act upon it.
To begin this challenge in a meaningful way, consider watching the testimonies of the apostles. These special witnesses share their testimonies of many of the principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
You may wish to use that video series to discover ways in which you can build your own testimony.
This printable from A Pocket Full of LDS Prints is not of the scripture for the month, but it is a wonderful companion for the challenge. You can find it, along with other design options, here.
This testimony printable is a door hanger for children’s rooms.
Family Home Evening Ideas
- This sharing time called “I Have a Testimony of Jesus Christ” makes a wonderful FHE with all ages of children.
- This is a brief lesson originally designed for sharing time that would work really well with small children.
- Deseret Book shares this FHE on testimony for families with children.
- You can make this printable “bitty book” about testimony for children to print out and color.
- There was an article in The Friend that would work as a short FHE (and includes a printable coloring page as well).
- You can print this coloring page from LDS.org:
- Designed for a YW activity, this science-based activity works well as a teen-friendly FHE.
- This New Era article works as a strong discussion-based FHE with teens.
- This lesson takes a bit more prep work, but if you have access to a fireplace or fire pit, it would be a strong FHE that would work well with teens or older children.
- Teach His Doctrine shares this robust article on building a testimony that would make a wonderful FHE for adults in families and would work equally well to do alone.
- Linda K. Burton’s CES devotional, Tuning our Hearts to the Voice of the Spirit perfectly aligns with the month’s challenge. You can read it or watch it (below). It’s lengthy (at just under an hour), yet strong and worthwhile.
- If you’d like a somewhat shorter talk and video, President Uchtdorf’s Conference address, Receiving a Testimony of Light and Truth, is less than twenty minutes (and includes a plane story!). You can read it or watch it (below).
- Interested in deepening your understanding of John 7:17? You can read multiple commentaries that will give you insight. To use as an FHE, divide them up, have different people read them, and share out the ideas, discussing them in the context of the restored gospel.
This verse is short. To memorize it, simply print out this printable we created for you, and post it in a visible place. Read through it fifty times throughout the month (just twice a day will be more than enough), and you will have it committed to memory easily during that time.
To make it easier, print multiple copies and place them on your bathroom mirror, in your car, on the fridge, and even on the door from the garage to the house!
If you would like to see the resources for all of the scriptures, visit this page.
Be sure to visit our Scripture Memorizing Ideas page for ideas and general help on memorizing.