Our Stake (Arlington Texas) is studying one scripture a month this year. To help families to integrate the scripture into their homes in meaningful ways, for each scripture we will share the following:
- free printables of the scripture for display in the home
- family home evening lessons for all types of families
- ideas for memorizing the scripture
The scripture for January is 2 Nephi 31:20.
A Pocketful of LDS Prints shares several versions for free download. These are not the entire scripture, but just the tagline.
The Church offers this printable from the media library as well.
LDS Scripture of the Day shares the image above for download.
Family Home Evening Ideas:
With young children:
This FHE lesson on hope aligns well with the scripture.
These two lessons enduring to the end address an essential idea of the scripture
- Watch Neal A. Maxwell’s talk Endure it Well.
- Discuss his attitude towards adversity.
More in depth:
- Divide the scripture in these four segments:
- Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ,
- having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.
- Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end,
- behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
- Give each segment to one person (if you have more than four people in the family, have additional people work with each section; if you have fewer than four, give one or more people an additional section).
- Have each person look closely at the segment he/she has, looking up the footnotes and using the Bible Dictionary to develop an understanding of the section.
- Allow each person to share what he/she found out in turn. Go in order of the scripture.
- To make a really special evening, create a “feast” to represent feasting upon the word of Christ. If you are interested in something simple, serve:
- roast chicken or turkey legs and eat them without utensils
- grapes broken into small bunches
- loaves of bread pulled apart
- cider in goblets from the dollar store
- For a more elaborate experience, download this short guide.
- How are you motivated by your hope in Christ?
- What do you think about the quotes by C.S. Lewis? Do they ring true with you?
- Have your experiences with grief aligned with that shared by David Kooyman after the death of his daughter?
Kristen Duke shares this memorizing help using images to prompt the text.
Be sure to visit our Scripture Memorizing Ideas page for ideas and general help on memorizing.