Our Stake (Arlington Texas) is studying one scripture a month this year. To help families to integrate the scripture into their homes in meaningful ways, for each scripture we will share the following:
- the accompanying challenge
- free printables of the scripture or related challenge for display in the home
- family home evening lessons for all types of families
- ideas for memorizing the scripture
The scripture for November is Doctrine & Covenants 78:19.
“And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more.”
The accompanying challenge is to show gratitude to those around you during the month by notes, calls or visits.
We created a printable for you to use to guide you through a month of gratitude. Simply print it out and select any or all of the ideas to express gratitude.
We’ve gathered a number of resources to help you with the challenge:
- Southern Living Magazine has suggestions for writing thank you notes.
- TinyBuddha shares 50 ideas for how to show gratitude to people in your life.
- Printable weekly gratitude journal
- Printable gratitude lists
CreativeCapitalB shares this wonderful quote from President Monson that paraphrases the scripture. It comes in other colors as well, and in sizes from 5×7 to 12×18.
Family Home Evening Ideas
Any type of family can take on the 500 challenge. The challenge is to make a list of 500 things you are thankful for. It will take about 20 sheets of notebook paper, so get ready! If you do this, we hope you’ll share!
- The FHE manual has a lesson on gratitude that includes the Stake scripture.
- Mormon Momma shares a very simple, quick, and low-prep FHE on gratitude.
- LDS Daily shares this FHE lesson that is specifically for Thanksgiving.
- Give them Heaven shares this lesson on gratitude that is long enough that it could be divided into two.
- LDS Living shares this FHE on gratitude that is pretty quick and requires very little prep.
- Read a series of scripture stories of gratitude. Start with Luke 17:11-19, 1 Timothy 4:4, Colossians 4:2, and Doctrine Covenants 136:28. Discuss what the stories have in common. See if you can think of another gratitude story from the scriptures.
- Watch the Mormon Channel videos In the Spirit of Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving Daily. For an additional activity, film your own version of In the Spirit of Thanksgiving.
- Print out the gratitude ideas for the challenge of the month. Accomplish the ones you can do together (write notes, make lists, pray).
- Read President Faust’s talk Gratitude as a Saving Principle and President Monson’s An Attitude of Gratitude. Compare the ideas in the two talks. Find three points of similarity and two unique points in each talk. Discuss the role of gratitude in a covenant life.
Music is a powerful memorization tool. You can download sheet music of the verse and listen to the music as well – the tune is quite simple. You can also simply click on the image below to print it out.
Be sure to visit our Scripture Memorizing Ideas page for ideas and general help on memorizing.