This year, our Stake President, Mark Davies, invites us to grow closer to the Savior through the study of our Stake Scripture, monthly supporting scriptures, and participation in the offered challenge.
Here you will find resources for helping individuals and families engage with the Stake Scripture and Challenge.
Our Stake Scripture for the year is 1 Nephi 15:24.
And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.
- Read the Book of Mormon daily for at least 20 minutes
- Pray daily
- Read the 2017 October General Conference talks given by apostles
- Read the 2018 April General Conference talks given by apostles (this will be updated following the April 2018 Conference)
Supports & Suggestions for the Scripture & Challenge
- Print out the helps for committing the Stake Scripture to memory.
- Read or watch Elder Jay Jensen’s talk Remember Also the Promises. Not only does it contain a direct reference to the Stake Scripture, but it also is a beautiful talk on the value of the scriptures in our lives.
Read the Book of Mormon for 20 minutes every day.
- Consider connecting this goal to something you are already in the habit of doing, if you are not in the habit of reading scriptures each day. For example, could you read the Book of Mormon while you eat breakfast and lunch? Could you listen on your way to work? Could you read or listen while you do something else that doesn’t require your full attention?
- Twenty minutes a day for 365 days is 121 hours and 40 minutes (approximately). That’s enough time to deepen your understanding and testimony considerably.
- If you would like to set page or chapter goals for yourself, use the Book of Mormon calculator to input your goal. It will tell you how long it will take. For example, if you want to read the Book of Mormon in a year, you need to read about 1.5 pages per day. If you read three pages a day, you could read it twice in a year.
- We have links to a number of Book of Mormon reading charts to keep track of your progress on our Book of Mormon Reading Charts Pinterest board. They include ones like this from Love and Laundry . She shares this Book of Mormom 365 chart that will have you finishing the Book of Mormon in a year, following the schedule.
Read the tallks by the apostles from the October 2017 General Conference
Links to the talks are provided below. The apostles and members of the First Presidency are listed in alphabetical order.
- Neil L. Anderson
- M. Russell Ballard
- David A. Bednar
- D. Todd Christofferson
- Quentin L. Cook
- Henry B. Eyring
- Jeffrey R. Holland
- Russell M. Nelson
- Dallin H. Oaks
- Ronald A. Rasband
- Dale G. Renlund
- Gary E. Stevenson
- Dieter F. Uchtdorf